His Mercy Is Upon You

 


DAILY VITAMIN 

- His Mercy Is Upon You

"And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation." (Luke 1:50)

The Songwriter said "Great is Thy mercy towards me"; but while a lot of people couldn't understand her temerity in uttering that statement since it wasn't a plea but a plain declaration, Mary tells us why. She said "And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation"; revealing that mercy isn't something the Christian prays for, but something (s)he simply and naturally obtains by virtue of what Christ has attained on his/her behalf. 

In Hebrews 4, we are told that we have a High Priest in Christ who understands all we are going through and has prepared for it; and so now we can go boldly to the throne of grace, "that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need" (v. 16). The word "obtain" is only applicable when what is to be received one way or the other has been made accessible or available to you. He didn't say ask or beg, He said obtain, like it is in our right in Christ to have it. 

But then Mary's words come to mind again, it is the generational inheritance of them who fear Him- of those who love, serve, obey and worship  Him, and that includes you too my friend. And this agreement is not to be short-lived, it is forever (Psalm 136:1). Speaking of Christ and all in Him, He said "my mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him" (Psalm 89:28).

Do you know what this means? It means that you can never deserve God's help, and don't need to; because in Christ He freely gives it to you. Mary says "He helps His Servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy" (v. 54); and as a result, we can truly understand what Paul meant when he said "so then it is not of him that wills, nor of him that runs, but of God that shows mercy" (Romans 9:16). His mercy is your heritage in Christ. 

"To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant; The path which he sware to our father Abraham, That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of the enemies might serve him without fear, In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life." (Luke 1:72-75).

Prayer:

Lord God I thank you because your mercy endures eternally in my life.  It shields and guides me every day. I thank you for your immense goodness towards me, and your standby help to all who trust you in Christ Jesus. I know you will never forsake nor abandon me, and in this confidence I declare that surely your goodness and mercies shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever, in Jesus Name. Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Generously

See It God's Way

Desist From Rash Decisions

Love Is Where Life Begins

Actions Speak Loudest