Developing Skill


DAILY VITAMIN
- Developing Skill
"...God presented David to his people as their shepherd and he cared for them with a true heart and skillful hands" (Psalm 78:71-72 TLB)
      The scriptures say that God picked David from the sheepcote to lead His people. However, we always fail to recognize that the sheepcote was intended to be a training ground for David - a place to hone and develop his skills for leadership. Just like Moses, as he learned to effectively lead sheep, he also had gained capacity in one level to lead mankind. David might have had a calling for leadership - a potential for it, but until he built capacity for it, it couldn't come to be. The opportunities in events God placed before him was to prepare him in anticipation of what was to come. And that is exactly what He’s doing with you too.
      Let me tell you this: There are two things we can learn from this narrative as imposed upon us by that scripture;
(1) Having a great call is completely different from having a great life. One was given to you, the other is something you have to give. One was done for you, the other is one you have to do for yourself. So, don't waste the potential in you; fulfill it.  
(2) It is not enough to have a good heart, skillful hands are also paramount for change. This is because change isn't  established by wishing for it, it is by effecting it. David didn't wish to become a good king, he learned from God, men and experiences all it took to be a good king. A good heart can do many things, but there are certain things only skill can achieve. David knew this- that good intentions alone can't build a kingdom; and that they weren't enough without the skills to implement the plans and purposes to bring it to fruition.
      Skill can never be undermined, for the scripture says that one who has developed it will meet with kings and not ordinary men (Proverbs 22:29). It doesn't matter what field you are, or how meager a goal it might be, skill always ensures excellence.
      God might have brought David to Israel's leadership, but he could only deliver them effectively because he had learned skill. Scriptures call it having skillful hands in whatever you do.  So tell me, where do you believe God is taking you? Are you preparing for it? Do you have the skills to appropriate such a task and gift He has bestowed on you? These are questions you must answer.
      I knew what God would have me do, so I trained myself in the Word and by fellowship with His Spirit so as to groom the capacity to fully and effectively exercise and complete what He’s bestowed upon me. Now, what about you? What are you doing with where God has you, what He’s given you, and that which He's planning for you?

Prayer:
In the Name of Jesus, I believe I'm skilled for the task God has assigned for me by the Holy Spirit. Every experience I have helps me grow in capacity to do that is expected of me. Whether good or bad encounters lead me to that end, in fulfillment of the truth that all things work together for my good. And the more I learn to be better, the better I become. Thank you Jesus. Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Generously

See It God's Way

Desist From Rash Decisions

Love Is Where Life Begins

Actions Speak Loudest