Give Thanks For Where You Are

DAILY VITAMIN
 I happened to stumble upon the story of a stonecutter who learnt the hard way that before wishing you are anything more, the key to real progress and contentment is to be first grateful for what you are now. One day while delivering a slab to a merchant, on seeing all the goods in his store, he said "I wish I was a merchant and had such things". Immediately he had his wish. Having become a merchant, on another day, he saw a parade in front of his shop. It was the prince passing by in royal apparel. Then he said "I wish I was a prince". Instantly, he became a prince, until the day the heat of the sun beat down upon him. He said in response, "I wish I was the sun, greater than any man", and he did and was happy, at least not until a cloud came between him and the earth. Then he said "I wish I was the cloud". Again his wish was granted, and he rained down on the earth. He was happy until he flowed to a mountain, but the mount would not let him pass. Then he said "I wish I was a mountain". He became one and mused "Now I'm the greatest of all". However, to his surprise, one day, a little man climbed up the mountain and began to chip away with a hammer and chisel. The mountain, unable to stop the man's constant hits, said "That little man is greater than I. I wish I was a man who cut stone". His wish was granted, he became a stonecutter again, and lived the rest of his days a very happy and gratefully contented man.
The moral here is that as much as we wish we had a different surname, or a different job or status in life, at times, it is important to know that where you are-and who you are-now is just as important as where you want to go. Be grateful for what you have gotten already, and you will have more given to you in time. You are unique in person; so therefore appreciate that person you are today. Mandela wouldn't wish to trade his 27 years imprisonment with anyone because that's what led to his legacy and glories eventually. In the same vein, you wouldn't desire the life of a certain rockstar despite the revels if he ends on the suicidal row at the prime of his life. In essence, love the person you are now, be grateful for him; and even as you work towards becoming better and more, know that that fellow had a major contributory role to play in the making of the person you shall become. Therefore, rather than going on a wishing spree, be content and be grateful first at what you have now; and then give all you must to be better and more. Invest in your tomorrow while you have today so that your yesterday won't overshadow your future; but never forget: Whatever you are today, be grateful in anticipation of all you shall be tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Generously

See It God's Way

Desist From Rash Decisions

Love Is Where Life Begins

Actions Speak Loudest